MP10 VS RW-4 comparison
Ecotech MP10’s and Jabeo RW-4’s are both great pumps and both have their pro’s and cons. The Jabeo RW-4 is very tiny compared to most powerheads and packs a big punch. The entire powerhead resides in tank. The controller has many options including wave modes, Else mode (random) and can wirless sync with another pump. you can control the time of the wave and the strength of the pulse. The only down full with the controller is it does not let you set a maximum level for else mode.
The MP10 uses magnets to spin the propeller and therefor the motor is outside the tank. Overall the unit is bigger than the RW-4, but the portion in tank is much smaller. The MP10 only points straight out where the rw-4 can be adjusted and pointed anywhere you like. One of my favorite modes is reef crest which is essentially equivalent to the RW-4 else mode with the added bonus of letting you set the maximum output.
If you plan on pointing the RW-4 at the front glass rather than across the the tank, then row’s profile is much similar in size to the mp10s head.
Now which one should you get? well that dends on how high rolling you feel, the mp10 costs about 3 times more than the RW-4.
If you spend an extra $100 you can get a reeflink which is web interface/communication box to program your MP10 to do what ever modes when ever you want. Now its defiantly a nice toy if you have money to burn and too lazy to turn the dial one in a while.(keep in mind this only works with the MP10W versions). RF chips can be purchased after the fact if you ever decide to upgrade to the wireless version.
EcoTech MP10 Pros
– Takes up minimal tank space
– no wires insdie the tank
– tons of controllability
– pushes a ton of water for its size
– you can purchase the wireless RF module after if you want to upgrade to reeflink
EcoTech MP10 cons
– ES models can be a little loud
– Motor sticking out of the side of the tank may look funny to some
– you cant point the power head – only straight away form the glass
– wireless version of the controller costs extra
Jabeo RW-4 Pros
– lots of features for its price
– budget version of a mp10
– Can wirelessly link 2 units.
– Output can pivot and point to where you want it.
– audiable but pretty quiet
Jabeo RW-4 cons
– Else mode doesn’t let you set a max output
– extra wire in the tank
I should be receiving a MP10QD in a week or two which is octets new quiet drive version. Ill post more pics and comparisons once i receive it!